Subject: Re: SC - molds for gingerbread

Bethany Public Library betpulib at ptdprolog.net
Mon Apr 24 23:32:42 PDT 2000

Actually I have an italian rennaisance recipe--purported to have been used
to make an Italian wedding chest---that a buddy gave me (sorry I can't share
it without permission, but if y'all are aquainted with Master Dyfan her in
Aethelmearc, feel free to contact him and beg) that is so solid when baked
it is structural---you can build with it, and can't eat it unless is is
softened with heat. I also have another recipe from a modern source that is
pretty similarly hard-as-rocks, once cooled.

I might have to do some experimentation, now. I also thought of polymer
clay, though that might be prohibitively expensive---however it is perfect
for high temperature---my brother uses it to cast silver, pewter, etc.  I'm
not allowed near the power tools, so wood is out, and I've never seen a mold
in the shape I want made out of metal---though hubby is a smith and might be
able to sort something out for me in a pinch. Hmmmmmmm.......

The temp is normal cookie range, btw. I had thought to press the dough into
the mold for detail.
Aoife
Phlip did write:

>I'd be very careful with that, Aoife. Unless it's very thoroughly dry,
>plaster has a tendency to explode when heated. I'd hate to see you having
>very detailed impressions of exploding plaster in your oven....
>
>;-)
>
>Phlip
.I would suggest maybe using a metal mold for the baking .  If you want to
.use the plaster I would use the 'with breadcrumb' sort.  You can get some
.wonderful moulds in metal, mousse mold usually, but some wonderful designs.
.Or maybe, it's my experience that gingerbread is fairly soft when it comes
.out of the oven, maybe you could try moulding it then, while it's still
.hot. I've never had plaster explode on me in the oven though.  Maybe since
.I only bake at really low temperatures when I'm using it though.  How hot
.does your gingerbread need to be cooked at?
.- -Katerine