SC - Documented Substitutions (Long)

Elaine Koogler ekoogler at chesapeake.net
Tue Apr 25 13:24:28 PDT 2000

Sounds a little like a young fellow I was helping with his first feast some years ago
(actually he and another were cooking it together).  He wanted to do a Scotch Broth
from an old Scottish recipe I happened to have.  The recipe called for either mutton
or beef, and asked for soup bones to make the broth.  I told him how to acquire these
if they were not readily available in the meat case.  He showed up for the pre-cook
where we were going to make the soup with pork bones.  He seemed very surprised when
I told him that he could use pork, but it wouldn't be Scotch Broth then, but a soup
made with pork and barley.

Kiri