SC - Waffles (was: Chambord)

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 25 14:24:18 PDT 2000

- --- CBlackwill at aol.com wrote:
> Daylight Time,
> michael.gunter at fnc.fujitsu.com writes:
>
> >  Their reasoning was that I still use a hand crank
> can opener
> >  but I have a period waffle maker.
>
> Oohh...Period waffles?  (rubbing hands together with
> childish grin on his
> face) Recipe, please?  Also, how about a description
> of that waffle maker?  I
> would LOVE to have one.  Where'd you pick it up?
>
> Balthazar of Blackmoor

We had a long discussion about waffle, pancakes and
French toast last November, before you joined the
list. All are documentably period.

The period waffle maker mentioned can be documented
thru several Dutch painting which show ladies with
long handled waffle irons that you fill with batter
and stick in the fire to cook.  These manual waffle
irons [as opposed to the electric kind] have been
around forever, it would seem.  You can still by them
in kitchen supply stores and in camping equipment
stores.

Here are list of paintings and books where I found
such:

>From Katie Stewart's book "The Joy of Eating",
pages 86-87.  Unfortunately, Ms. Stewart does not give
us the name of the artist or the name of the painting,
but the painting appears to be dated 1560.  We see a
multigenerational family, grandparents, parents and
baby. Next to the grandfather is a plate of waffles,
next to the mother is a plate of pancakes.  The
grandmother is making the pancakes in the background,
using a skillet to make the pancakes.  The skillet is
suspended over the fire by a large ring attached to a
set of chains.

>From Peter Rose's book, "The Sensible Cook", we find
these paintings:

Page 2: Jan Steen, "The 12th Night Feast"
Jan Steen 1626-1679.
Page 15: Willem Buytewech, "Interior" 1610.
Page 22: Jan Steen, "The St. Nicholas Celebration"
Page 77: Nicholas Maes, "The Pancake Maker"
Nicholas Maes 1634-1693.
Page 117: No artist or date: "Sweet meal"

Here is a website that has a painting by Beuckelaer,
dated 1565, that shows waffle making.

http://www.dnaco.net/~aleed/corsets/lowerclass/images/waffles.jpg

It is identified as: "Making Waffles" by Joachim
Beuckelaer, 1565.

Huette