OOP Re: SC - bread pudding

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 26 13:08:57 PDT 2000

- --- pat fee <lcatherinemc at hotmail.com> wrote:
>   My mother-in-law( a Scot, born there) calles it
> Dundee cake.  It is a
> cake,( original date 1567) according to the recipe
> that uses dried berries
> and "sour" oranges, from "heathen lands"  The soaked
> fruit is the berries
> soaked in the juice of the oranges with honey added.
>  I believe the peel of
> the orange was added in a later dated
> version.(1800's)  There are eggs,
> flour, honey, buttermilk, soda(bakeing)and rose
> water in this cake.  Also a
> version calles for oats to be soaked in the
> buttermilk over night, then
> added to the batter.
>
>    Lady Katherine McGuire

The baking soda is also a recent addition.  Sodium
bicarbonate is not used in 1567.  It came into use in
the 19th century.  I take it that you don't have a
copy of the original recipe?  If not, then your copy
has been corrupted sometime during the 19th century.
This is too bad.  But what can you do now?  I am sure
that your ancestors thought that modernizing the
recipe was appropriate.

I would still like your recipe, even if it is modern.

Huette