SC - at the market

Maggie MacDonald maggie5 at home.com
Fri Apr 28 11:48:53 PDT 2000

- --=====================_340829116==_.ALT

At 04:52 PM 4/28/00 +0000,Christina van Tets said something like:
>Hello the list!
>
>I have several questions related to food currently available in the market:
>
>Does anyone know how to cure olives?  A period recipe would be excellent,
>but if not a mundane one would do.  I can't resist them any longer, and I
>know they taste disgusting when they're not cured properly.

Once upon a time the Calafian cook's guild did a feast where we prepared
three 5-gallon buckets of olives donated from someone's tree. I'm sure
there was a period source we drew from, but that was in my days of
newbiedom, so ... it all went straight over my head. It was very easy, and
I don't remember the directions exactly enough to give them to you and feel
safe. HOWEVER, I found a very nice web page that describes how to do all
three types of olives. (the green, the half green half red, and the full
black).

http://www.finegardening.com/fc/features/ingredients/olives/1.htm

After our olives were cured, we seasoned them by storing a little brine,
with olive oil floated on top, some large chunks of lemon zest and a few
laurel leaves in the jar. The leftovers lasted for _YEARS_ in the
refrigerators of a couple of the guild members.

Regards,
Maggie MacD.

- --=====================_340829116==_.ALT

At 04:52 PM 4/28/00 +0000,Christina van Tets said something like:<br>
I have several questions related to food currently available in the
market:<br>
Does anyone know how to cure olives?  A period recipe would be
excellent, but if not a mundane one would do.  I can't resist them
any longer, and I know they taste disgusting when they're not cured
properly.<br>
Once upon a time the Calafian cook's guild did a feast where we prepared
three 5-gallon buckets of olives donated from someone's tree. I'm sure
there was a period source we drew from, but that was in my days of
newbiedom, so ... it all went straight over my head. It was very easy,
and I don't remember the directions exactly enough to give them to you
and feel safe. HOWEVER, I found a very nice web page that describes how
to do all three types of olives. (the green, the half green half red, and
the full black).<br>
</a>After our olives were cured, we seasoned them by storing a little
brine, with olive oil floated on top, some large chunks of lemon zest and
a few laurel leaves in the jar. The leftovers lasted for _YEARS_ in the
refrigerators of a couple of the guild members.<br>
Regards,<br>
Maggie MacD.<br>