SC - An Introduction and a Question

Darice Moore magistra at tampabay.rr.com
Fri Apr 28 18:57:18 PDT 2000

Greetings to the SCA cooks!

As requested, here is my "brief introduction:"  I am Clotild of
Soissons, and I hail from the Shire of the Storm in Trimaris.  I am a
Frank, living during the reign of Clothar, but my interest in cooking
extends far beyond the bounds of my time period.  :)

I enjoy tracking down obscure documentation and I really love to feed
people.   I made a Tart de Bry to bring to my first revel and I've been
obsessed with period cooking ever since... It started with period
dinners for my encampment at events; before long I'd signed up to
feastcrat our Winter Art/Sci fair.  Most recently, I assisted my Laurel,
Messer Giuseppe da Borgia, by planning, cooking and hosting a period
luncheon to celebrate the return of spring.

And now here's the question:  Our Shire is doing an outdoor demo at the
end of May, and I'd like to bring period dishes for people to taste.

Has anyone had any experience with this?  I'm asking with two things in
mind - first, legal issues (can we feed members of the public who
haven't signed a waiver, and get away with it?) and second,
recommendations for food that will survive the Trimarian heat and can be
served "cold" (or room temperature).

I was thinking of adapting some of the recipes I served for the luncheon
(as those were all served cold as well), but wanted to know if anyone
had ideas or recommendations.

Many thanks,

Clotild