Subject: Re: SC - Re: Substitutions (Raggum Fraggum)

J C Ronsen caleb at buffnet.net
Fri Apr 28 19:46:10 PDT 2000

At 10:12 AM 4/28/00 -0400, you wrote:
> > Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2000 02:20:37 EDT
> > From: CBlackwill at aol.com
> > Subject: Re: SC - Re: Substitutions
> >
 > Im curious to know, and see documentation regarding, how prevailant
"humoral
 > theory" was in medieval cuisine.  Was it actually the guiding force that
 > people seem to think it was?  Or was it merely a case of "oh,
yeah...keep in
 > mind humoral theory if you want to..."?  This is a serious question.  I
would
 > like to know, and do not have the resources (yet) to make an assessment.
 >
 > Balthazar of Blackmoor
> > In a message dated 4/27/00 6:28:03 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
> allilyn at juno.com
> > writes:
> >
>Another consideration is that sometimes personal and public tastes are
>based on what I can only call medical _prejudices_. F'rinstance, one of
>the yummy treats advocated by Dr. Atkins is pieces of cheddar cheese
>wrapped completely in bacon and deep-fried.

I see nothing wrong with this recipe. Sounds tasty.

I've been lurking on the list for the past week or so and in regards to
Hipporates's humoral theory, it was a method for people to associate
things; foods, emotions, illnesses, without the benefit of the knowledge
that we have accumulated since the concept first was proposed in the 5th
century BC. Unfortunately, it is still in use today, only science has
replaced folk lore and astrology: Liver is good for the blood, carrots are
good for the eyes, and fiber is good for the colon. It's not that far away
from: Hot meat is good for the blood and cold turnips are good for the phlegm.

I don't, however, think this was followed to the letter by any great
degree; the doctors who wrote about these humors also wrote that you only
let blood on Tuesdays and Wednesdays because those days belonged to Mars.

ska: Lord Caleb Reynolds
mka: Caleb Ronsen
aka: Bubba th' Barbarian
The Scum of AEthelmearc