SC - An Introduction and a Question

Donna Kepner Ford evfemia at mail.com
Sat Apr 29 10:06:53 PDT 2000

Bronwynmgn at aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 4/28/2000 10:06:47 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
> magistra at tampabay.rr.com writes:
>
> << Has anyone had any experience with this?  I'm asking with two things in
>  mind - first, legal issues (can we feed members of the public who
>  haven't signed a waiver, and get away with it?) and second,
>  recommendations for food that will survive the Trimarian heat and can be
>  served "cold" (or room temperature). >>
>
> I recently did a class for Girl Scout leaders on period cooking, and served
> them a lot of samples with no problem, but then they had paid to be in the
> class...I really don't know what the legal issues are.
> Some of the items I used (again, all had to be servable cold, but I made a
> point of the fact that most probably *wouldn't* have been served cold in
> period) were Pies of Parys (which I have made in tart sizes and taken to
> Pennsic; they've stayed good three days or more in a cooler); Koken von
> Honer, which is a chicken pie; cold sliced roast beef with winter cameline
> sauce and piper sauce; gingerbread; Chireseye.  The recipes I used are
> available on request :-)  I also did Shrympes, which are just cold boiled
> shrimp sprinkled with vinegar, but I don't know how that would keep.
> Compost definitely wouldn't be a problem as far as spoiling, and I've used
> that for demos with fairly good results..

Greetings Brangwayna.  Please pass on these recipes when you get a
chance.  They sound wonderful.

Even though I have played for over three years now, I have never been to
Pennsic.  That's a really long trek from Alabama.

I had no idea that the culinary arts of the middle ages would be so
prevalent there.  There have been very few classes in the field held in
my location.

Evfemia at mail.com
Iron Mtn, Meridies