Subject: SC - tongue

CBlackwill at aol.com CBlackwill at aol.com
Sat Apr 29 21:50:49 PDT 2000

In a message dated 4/29/00 9:11:00 AM Pacific Daylight Time, harper at idt.net
writes:

> I know that the flesh of older animals is usually tougher... would this
>  apply to the tongue as well?  Perhaps -- since the Menagier seems to
>  be in the camp that favors tongue from older cattle -- the fat would
>  tenderize the tongue?  Or am I making an appalling display of my
>  ignorance about meat?

Before I attempt to answer this, does anyone know if a medieval cook would
have made a distinction between "larding" and "barding'?  Larding is the
process of actually inserting fat (usually bacon) into the muscle with a
larding needle or other instrument.  Barding is the process of wrapping the
meat in bacon or other fat (such as chicken skin or goose skin with the fat
layer intact).

Balthazar of Blackmoor

Words are Trains for moving past what really has no Name.