SC - lemon/lime pies/tarts

Sue Clemenger mooncat at in-tch.com
Sun Apr 30 11:32:33 PDT 2000

Yes, sure do.  It's one of "those old family recipes," and _needs_ to be
made at least once each spring.
- --Maire

OHIO LEMON PIE
Filling:
2 lg. lemons, scrubbed but not peeled
2 c. granulated sugar
4 lg. eggs

Crust: use standard two-layer crust recipe.  I like one with just a
*titch* of sugar added.

RECIPE:
Slice lemons as thinly as possible, and combine with sugar in a
non-reactive bowl.  Let sit for at least 2 hrs.
Beat eggs well, and add to lemon/sugar mixture, stirring gently but
thoroughly.
Pour filling into a 9" pie tin lined with one of the crusts, and then
top w/the other crust.  Cut a few little decorative slits on top.  If
you want, you can brush the upper surface with a little water, and then
sprinkle on a little additional sugar.
Bake on a cookie sheet (to catch any overflow--can make a nasty mess in
the bottom of the oven) at 400 degrees (farenheit) for 15 mins., and
then reduce heat to 275 degrees and bake an additional 20 mins.