SC - Quince Pastes (long answer)

Kerri Canepa kerric at pobox.alaska.net
Sun Apr 30 18:29:19 PDT 2000

Referring to the preparation of quinces:

>1.  clean your quinces, and get them ready to cook.
>
>Then cook them in good red wine and then run them through a strainer.
>2.  put the quince pieces in a non-reactive pot (glass, stainless steel,
>etc.  I bet you can do this in your microwave)  Just cover with red wine.
> DON'T get the cheapest you can find--you won't like the results.  When
>money is a problem, get the cheapest you can drink.  I learned this the
>hard way.  Bring to a boil, then lower heat and cook until very tender.
>Check a mundane cook book for cooking directions for a similar fruit, try
>that, and check often.  Stir with a wooden spoon (non-reactive).  Mash
>your quinces.  How much wine you leave in is up to you--but you don't
>want these to be dry: you have to get them through a strainer.  Use a
>food processor if you have one.  Then strain.  I forget how fibrous a
>quince is, it may be the reason you want to strain.  You are looking for
>something like absolutely smooth applesauce, by now.

Having made Menagier's quince jellies last winter, I can't emphasize the
importance of cooking the quinces for a long time. You want them mushy or you
will have a heck of a time trying to push or rub them through a strainer.

Also, you'll need to get your knives sharpened after you peel, slice and seed
them. Quinces when not extremely ripe are very hard. Even when they're ripe it
can be difficult to process them.

Nothing beats the fragrance of ripe quince though. Mmmmmmm....

Cedrin
Princess Oertha