SC - four humours/food

CBlackwill at aol.com CBlackwill at aol.com
Sun Apr 30 22:01:33 PDT 2000

In a message dated 4/30/00 9:12:09 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
caleb at buffnet.net writes:

> The only source I have found that objectively talks about the Humoral
>  Theory in depth has been "How Greek Science Passed to the Arabs" by D. L.
>  O'leary. Everything else I've ran across have only devolted a brief space
>  to describing the theory.

I just stumbled across what I believ to be a reference to humoral theory in
the Larousse Gastronomique:  "At the beginning of the 18th century, Louis
Lemery said in his 'Treatise on Food': 'Artichokes suit elderly people at all
times, and those of a phlegmatic and melancholy disposition'.

Is this a hold over of the Middle Ages Humoral Theory, or just good "modern"
medicine?  Ask Mr. Owl...

Balthazar of Blackmoor

Words are Trains for moving past what really has no Name.