SC - Green soup

Robin Carroll-Mann harper at idt.net
Sun Apr 2 20:29:18 PDT 2000

And it came to pass on 2 Apr 00,, that Philip & Susan Troy wrote:

> The closest thing I can find in "Pleyn Delit" is the second pottage
> recipe, for Joutes of Almond Milk, taken from the Forme of Cury, late
> 14th-century English. I was mystified by, among other things, the lack of
> almonds, and the presence of arrowroot, which I thought was a New World
> food.

This appears to be "Chebolace" from the Form of Cury, which appears
as recipe #23 "savory green soup" in the second ed. of _Pleyn Delit_.
That edition calls for rice flour, not arrowroot, which Hieatt explains as
her own addition to aid the eggs in thickening the broth.  The original
recipe does not call for almonds or almond milk.

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
Settmour Swamp, East (NJ)
mka Robin Carroll-Mann
harper at idt.net