SC - molasses

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Mon Apr 3 09:05:22 PDT 2000

Christina van Tets wrote:

> Hello the list!
>
> Here in Israel, the question from last week about the different names for
> sugars in particularly apposite - particularly for me, as I don't speak
> American English, which all the shops do.  I've just about figured out most
> of the stuff, barring treacle, which I understand I should look for under
> the name of molasses (is that right?).  So what is golden syrup?  I wanted
> to make Anzac biscuits (Anzac Day coming up and all), and have no idea what
> the Americans call golden syrup.  Any ideas?

As far as I know, we don't really have an equivalent product. The only
golden syrup I've seen here is Lyle's, imported from the U.K.. It
appears to be a rather heavy sugar syrup, roughly as thick as honey,
with a slight golden caramel tone. Probably the closest American
equivalent would be light corn syrup, which is still somewhat different,
with Golden syrup being somewhere in between light and dark corn syrups
in color. Of course corn syrup (not to mention corn oil) tastes like
corn [maize], to some extent, which has its proliferation in things like
Coca-Cola making me a bit on the depressed side of insane.

> Incidentally, after reading all the guff about Vegemite recently, my lord
> husband admitted that when he was with the army one of his friends told
> visiting military septics - um, Americans - that Vegemite was chocolate
> spread.  Apparently it was very funny to see them ladling it onto
> icecream...

Was that septics or skeptics? Hard to say, knowing Ian is a biologist. I
can imagine it must have been funny. And the smell didn't tip them off?

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com