SC - Is Arrowroot Period?

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Mon Apr 3 20:44:16 PDT 2000

melcnewt at netins.net writes:

<< The Corpora does state that we recreate Pre 17th Century Western European
 culture >>

Use of arrowroot would be appropriate for the early Norse period you mention,
specifically feasts which include contact between the 2 groups if any record
of such importation and/or use exists. I am unaware of any records that
indicate arrowroot was one of the foods traded between American Indians and
Norsemen and am also unaware of any recipes which have survived from that
time. The same holds true for 1065 CE and pre-1600 Spanish use of arrowroot.
Documentation, please?

Not to pick nits, but.......

Is the addition of the word 'European' to Corpora a new thing? IIRC, 'western
culture' was the wording before. The word 'European' may have been added in
the last couple of years but I do not have a new version of the Corpora to
compare to.

Also for what it's worth (which is not a lot. ;-))...the Known World
Handbook, which is an 'official' publication of the Society, defines this as
Europe AND the cultures they came in contact with.

Now I am not wanting to debate the actual perimeters of what the SCA
envelopes or should envelope but I would like to update my own files
regarding the actual wording for future use. Please e-mail me privately with
this info. Thanks in advance.

Ras