SC - Is Arrowroot Period?

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Mon Apr 3 23:29:18 PDT 2000

CBlackwill at aol.com writes:

<< If we are to recreate only Western European
 culture, then why are there so many Russian and Middle Eastern personae in
 the SCA?  >>

I don't know about Russians but Andalus (e.g., Spain was the most western of
European cultures. Outside of that European culture as it existed within the
time frame of the SCA would not have existed without the Middle East. A
direct result of that influence is the use of almond milk in recipes and the
wise use and availability of spices. There are literally hundreds of
archeological sites throughout Britain and many northern countries which have
offered up Arabic coinage from the earth.

In a nut shell, the culture, science, textiles, architecture, etc. of the
barbarous northerners would not have been possible without the influence of
civilizing influences of the followers of al-Islam. :-)

BTW, as an added note, Japanese traders and emissaries were actually living
in Venice during a part of the period.

Ras