SC - Armored turnips

CorwynWdwd at aol.com CorwynWdwd at aol.com
Wed Apr 5 05:15:24 PDT 2000

In a message dated 4/5/2000 8:01:10 AM Eastern Daylight Time, RichSCA at aol.com
writes:

> OKAY... I"VE HAD ENOUGH OF THIS.... If one more person mentions Armored
>  Turnips without the recipe... I'll eat all the Water Buffalo myself BEFORE
>  Pennsic!  Hey, if you'all can't share... neither can I.  :-P
>
>  Rayne
         Armored Turnips
          Platina book 8
Cut up turnips that have been either boiled or cooked under the ashes.
Likewise do the same with rich cheese, not too ripe. These should be smaller
morsels than the turnips, though. In a pan greased with butter or liquamen,
make a layer of cheese first, then a layer of turnips, and so on, all the
while pouring in spice and some butter, from time to time. This dish is
quickly cooked and should be eaten quickly, too.

1 lb turnips (5 little) 2 T butter 1/4 t ginger
10 oz cheddar cheese 1/2 t cinnamon 1/4 t pepper

Boil turnips about 30 minutes, peel and slice thin, layer turnips, sliced
cheese, etc. in 9"x5" baking pan, and bake 30 minutes at 350deg.. --
David/Cariadoc
DDF2 at Cornell.Edu

Note: Can substitute Parsnips to good effect..Corwyn

Armored Turnips
Platina, p. 147 (book 8)

Cut up turnips that have been either boiled or cooked under the ashes.
Likewise do the same with rich cheese, not too ripe. These should be smaller
morsels than the turnips, though. In a pan greased with butter or liquamen,
make a layer of cheese first, then a layer of turnips, and so on, all the
while pouring in spice and some butter, from time to time. This dish is
quickly cooked and should be eaten quickly, too. [end of original]

1 lb turnips (5 little)
10 oz cheddar cheese
2 T butter
1/2 t cinnamon
1/4 t ginger
1/4 t pepper
1 t sugar

Boil turnips about 30 minutes, peel and slice. Slice cheese thinner than
turnips, with slices about the same size. Layer turnips and sliced cheese in
9"x5" baking pan, and bake 20 minutes at 350 degrees.

Elizabeth/Betty Cook

We have modified this recipe in accordance with the more detailed version in
Martino's cookbook, which calls for "some sugar, some pepper and some sweet
spices".