SC - Period Dining Atmosphere (Was RE: Saffron)

margali margali at 99main.com
Wed Apr 5 16:18:20 PDT 2000

LOL-I find both my lord and I pressed into service carving for not just
our table but surrounding tables when whole beasties [or parts of
beasties] make an appearance on the table...and the last time we did
lamb for Dragon's Flight we sent it to the tables already carven into
serving portions...And we are plenty gleeful when we can get good soup
makings!
margali

My example was
that a friend had recently served boneless, canned hams at a feast,
after we discussed practical realities like carving and waste. Which is
worse, more jarring back into the late-20th-century, the presentation of

those funny-shaped hams, or a bunch of people in houppelandes sitting
there saying, "What the bloody h**l do I _do_ with this thing?", with
half the wasted meat going into the trash and the other half going home
with those smart enough to know a good soup-making opportunity when they

see one? Take your pick. You could argue either way. He went with the
canned hams.