SC - How do I get started?

Par Leijonhufvud parlei at algonet.se
Wed Apr 5 22:49:46 PDT 2000

On Wed, 5 Apr 2000, Decker, Margaret wrote:

> 	Everyone else has said a lot about pots & pans etc. I would
> recommend also that you invest in a 100% wool skirt or dress and a 100%
> linen chemise, apron , and head wrap. Linen is slower to catch fire than
> cotton and wool is even slower (usually only smolders). Linen also makes
> wonderful dish towels. And please keep an ABC fire extinguisher near at hand
> as well as a first aide kit. We hate loosing new members, especially to
> accidents. Margarite

True (it was to long ago that I considered anything else than wool or
linen for garb that I took it for granted). Also, quit a bit of time
spent around campfires in general have made me somewhat off-hand about
them. Also; long hanging things are Bad. Not only do they get dipped
into the pot, but they can also get into the flames and make you emulate
the Torch. Cool in it's own way I suppose, and makes you a perfect
candidate if Hollywierd ever makes horror movies again, but something at
least I would rather pass on.

But for preventing damage to yourself I would suggest two things: a
bucket of water and a wool blanket. The bucket is the perfect thing for
small burns on hands (cooling *fast* is the key here), while rolling the
burning victim in the banket is the best way to handle clothes and
people on fire. The important thing is to smother the flames from the
head towards the feet, rather than the other way. I would guess that if
you ask your local fire department they would be only too happy to
demonstrate (and perhaps even let you practice putting out a kerosene
soaked flaming kni^Wdummy with said blanket).

/UlfR

- --
Par Leijonhufvud                                      parlei at algonet.se
[Programs] I wrote more than two weeks ago may as well have been
written by someone else.  There's nothing like yelling at yourself for
failing to include some useful comments.		-- Mike Sphar