SC - Armored turnips

Korrin S DaArdain korrin.daardain at juno.com
Wed Apr 5 23:27:46 PDT 2000

On Wed, 5 Apr 2000 07:58:41 EDT RichSCA at aol.com writes:
>OKAY... I"VE HAD ENOUGH OF THIS.... If one more person mentions
>Armored Turnips without the recipe... I'll eat all the Water Buffalo
myself
>BEFORE Pennsic!  Hey, if you'all can't share... neither can I.  :-P
>
>Rayne

	Armored Turnips (Italian, 15th c.)
	Platina book 8.
	From Cariadoc's Miscellany, Copyright © by David Friedman, 1988,
1990, 1992.
	Cut up turnips that have been either boiled or cooked under the
ashes. Likewise do the same with rich cheese, not too ripe. These should
be smaller morsels than the turnips, though. In a pan greased with butter
or liquamen, make a layer of cheese first, then a layer of turnips, and
so on, all the while pouring in spice and some butter, from time to time.
This dish is quickly cooked and should be eaten quickly, too.
	1 lb turnips (5 little)
	10 oz cheddar cheese
	2 T butter
	1/2 t cinnamon
	1/4 t ginger
	1/4 t pepper
	Boil turnips about 30 minutes, peel and slice thin, layer turnips
and sliced cheese in 9"x5" baking pan, and bake 30 minutes at 350deg. .
	Armored Turnips (64 people)
	Platina book 8
	From Cariadoc's Miscellany, Copyright © by David Friedman, 1988,
1990, 1992.
	Cut up turnips that have been either boiled or cooked under the
ashes. Likewise do the same with rich cheese, not too ripe. These should
be smaller morsels than the turnips, though. In a pan greased with butter
or liquamen, make a layer of cheese first, then a layer of turnips, and
so on, all the while pouring in spice and some butter, from time to time.
This dish is quickly cooked and should be eaten quickly, too.
	8 lb turnips
	5 lb cheddar cheese
	16 T butter
	4 t cinnamon
	2 t ginger
	2 t pepper
	2 2/3 T sugar
	Bring water to a boil, boil turnips about 30 minutes, peel and
slice. Slice cheese thinner than turnips, with slices about the same
size. Layer turnips, sliced cheese, butter and spices in baking pans, and
bake 20 minutes at 350deg.
	Rapes Armate
	Make to cook the turnips under the (brascia), or boil it whole
and (sane), and cut it in slices great as much as one (costa) of a knife;
and you will have some good fat cheese cut in slices as large/wide as the
turnips, but thinner; and have some sugar some pepper and some sweet
spices mixed together; and you will prepare in a pan (da) tart by order
on the bottom of that, slices of cheese in such a way that they make a
bottom crust, and over that put a (solar) of turnip (buttandoli/throwing
it) above some of the spices written above and some fresh butter
abundantly; and thus step by step you will go putting together the
turnip, the cheese so much that the pan will be full, make it to cook for
a quarter hour or more, in the fashion of a tort. And this ornamentation
if you wish to give to the following as well.

Korrin S. DaArdain
Kingdom of An Tir in the Society for Creative Anachronism.
Korrin.DaArdain at Juno.com
Quondo Omni Flunkus Mortati
(When All Else Fails, Play Dead.)