OT - Re: SC - Re: saffron

Elaine Koogler ekoogler at chesapeake.net
Thu Apr 6 10:04:52 PDT 2000

I suspect you are probably correct...or it is reasonable to think so.  I have
long been a student of another art which utilized up until very recently the same
concept...Chinese ink painting.  The way a student learned was to copy, line for
line, brush stroke for brush stroke, the master's original.  This was done over
and over until the student had mastered the skill.  And this practice was
well-documented in several period sources, the most well-known of which was the
Mustard Seed Garden Manual.  Once the student was no longer a student, but a
master in his/her own right, they were free to develop their own style...and
usually did.

So I have to believe that similar things happened in cooking, in the middle
ages.  I also know that it continues to happen.  My mother taught me to make her
spaghetti sauce.  However, I have modified her recipe to suit myself, and did so
once I had mastered her way of doing it!  And on the other side, as my Lord
reminds me, is the idea that the master might have kept some of his best secrets
for himself...again it still happens today.  My mother never quite got over the
fact that her best friend gave her her recipe for a dynamite white fruit cake.
Mama tried it, but it never quite came out the same way.  She discovered many
years later that the friend had purposefully omitted an ingedient!

Just a thought or two...

Kiri