SC - I CHALLENGE YOU...

Bronwynmgn at aol.com Bronwynmgn at aol.com
Thu Apr 6 14:54:18 PDT 2000

In a message dated 4/5/2000 11:41:02 PM Eastern Daylight Time, troy at asan.com
writes:

<< "45. For to make bukkenade. Nym god fresch flesch, wat maner so yt be, &
 hew it in smale morselys, & seth yt wy(th) gode fresch buf; & cast
 (th)ereto gode myncyd onyons & gode spicerye, & alyth wy(th) eyryn, &
 boyle & dresse yt forth."

 "53. For to make a bukkenade, tak veel & boyle it. Tak (y)olkys of eggys
 & mak hem (th)ykke. Tak macis & powdre of gyngyuer & powdere of peper, &
 boyle it togedere & messe yt forth." >>

I made this (from the first recipe) for a shire get-together over the winter.
 I used a pork loin, cubed, with stew beef (roughly equal proportions of the
two), lots of onions, and (let's see if I remember; of course I didn't write
it down) cloves, cinnamon, and probably ginger for the "good Spicery".  Maybe
pepper as well, I don't recall.  I made the spice choices based on other pork
recipes from the same period.  And, of course, thickened it with egg yolks -
the original recipe doesn't specify that, but I remember doing it.
It was well received, even by some shire members who are dubious about period
cookery.

I think it's interesting that the first recipe says take whatever meat you
want, plus beef, and the other says to use only veal.

Brangwayna Morgan