Katerine's attempt wasRe: SC - I CHALLENGE YOU...

Black Jade Black_Jade at bigpond.com
Thu Apr 6 16:36:00 PDT 2000

><< I also am in the habit of throwing spices in to taste rather than
>measuring, so I can't provide measurements for those either. >>
>
>That would be my only major criticism. An attempt at conveying measurement
>even if a good guess like 1/2 tsp., more or less' would raise the re-creation
>to the level of a redaction and allow others who may not be instinctive cooks
>to make a fair attempt at the recipe.

Ok then, I'll have a crack at remembering how much.  Please remember that
this is all more-or-less measurements

Mace 1/2 tsp
Ginger 1 tsp (I like my ginger, an it goes so well with meat)
Pepper approx 1/2 tsp

as a sidenote.  I read that someone had trouble thickening with egg yolks,
getting the dreaded scrambled egg consistency. I tempered the egg yolks
with a ladlefull of warm stock before I added it to the stew.  It's the
easiest way I know to thicken a sauce with egg yolk.  Does anyone have a
better way???
- -Katerine