SC - Death or imprisonment? OT

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 7 17:35:34 PDT 2000

- --- david friedman <ddfr at best.com> wrote:

> I think, by the way, that "or their heads" reflects
> a historically
> implausible view of the Middle Ages. Doing your job
> badly was not a
> criminal offense then, any more than it was now. You
> might consider
> that the total fraction of the population in prison
> in medieval
> England was a great deal lower than in modern-day
> America.
>
> David/Cariadoc
> http://www.best.com/~ddfr/

I think that this (the population in prison) is
because in medieval England they were less afraid of
executions than we are today.  Not because they had
fewer laws than we do now.  Not that I wish to go back
to the old ways, but we tend to imprison our poachers
and thieves, whereas they tended to hang them.

Huette