SC - Re: Open/Closed Kitchens-Rewards

ChannonM at aol.com ChannonM at aol.com
Mon Apr 10 15:10:31 PDT 2000

In a message dated 4/10/00 12:20:53 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
owner-sca-cooks at ansteorra.org writes:

<< Open/Closed Kitchens  >>

I have always tried to make my kitchen an inviting place. I ensure that I
have music and a copy of my recipes as a special hand out to the staff who
help. I ensure that everyone takes breaks regularly and when I notice someone
not eating, I buy their lunch.

In addition, when I am called out to be thanked during the feast, I in turn
call up everyone who helped from those who spent the day to those who carved
radishes for garnish, to the servers and give them a token of my
appreciation. One year I gave out flowers, another a pewter salt spoon, this
year I burned in a Celtic Cross on the back of wooden spoons (30 of them) My
fear is always that I won't have enough to hand out.

I have people who travel to assist in my kitchen from as far away as New York
(Baron Sean and Lady Illya) and Northern Michigan. I don't think it's because
I give them things though, I think they have a good time and feel welcomed
and appreciated.

That's what I want anyone who works in my kitchen to take home with them, the
warm fuzzy's :)

Hauviette