SC - Open/Closed Kitchens & rewards

Karen O kareno at lewistown.net
Mon Apr 10 19:31:02 PDT 2000

>I personally prefer "open" kitchens, and I think it encourages learning -
and volunteering - much more easily than "closed" ones do.

>Katja

    I like the idea of the  "open"  kitchen:  there being room for a new
person/ old friend to chat & prep/cook.  I  have taken to contacting the
Head Cook prior to a feast, to say that I will be available.  Sometimes this
has meant I cooked  *around*  the Cook having nerve problems/dealing with
major -minor details.   I have also surprised a few Cooks by appearing with
apron in hand  --  they not knowing how seriousmy wanting to cook is.    I
may start showing up with a "felix" bag of utensils as well.

    For the Feast I have just cooked,  I had a kitchen that was very small,
and some thought to be the  *hallway* between one main room and the Feast
Hall.   That traffic came to a screeching halt quickly  -- tho the Royals
Room was a tiny cornered right off the other entrance (from the Feast Hall)
and their attendants thought  *they* needn't  go around.  (GGRRRR!!)  They
did tho.
I had  scads of people volunteering,  but the help I had to begin with were
*SO  GOOD*  I wound up being AHEAD OF SCHEDULE at one point.

For helping,  the married set that stayed with me all day,  I gave a bottle
(5th)  of my home brewed Hazelnut Liquer.  The  Head Server, who is very new
& this was her 1st major event,  was given a bottle of peach chardonnay I
had brought to "share" with my staff.  My very lovely & efficient assistant
cook, I gave a jar of homemade chokecherry syrup  & a 6pack of beer I had
also brought  to share.  I have in mind another something for her.    I have
to think about a special something for  the fellow who came in and started
working & stayed til every dish was washed.  I hardly know him, and haven't
an idea what would please him.

    On the otherhand,  I have been generously thanked  in Court by Head
Cooks  -- when I thought my work was miniscule.

Time to think about the review for last Saturday's Feast
Caointiarn