SC - Ciser

Jeff Heilveil heilveil at uiuc.edu
Tue Apr 11 10:51:32 PDT 2000

So my housemate and I have been making mead and ciser for a couple of
years now, and having amazing luck.  There is no need to measure specific
gravities, really.  Just a need for cleanliness.   So we've done two or
three batches of ciser with good results.  Here's what we did:
Boil your juice (we've used both store-bought and this last time me
pressed our own).  Add the appropriate amount of honey (well, Madog knows
the exact amount he used, I believe 10-12 lbs of honey for 5 gallons of
ciser, but I am merely the pepperer).  heat, but DON'T boil (loses a lot
of the flavor).  Skim off the protein from the honey (If you can get honey
from an apiary and not from the store it's usually tastier.  I just get
mine from the Deptartment).  Pour into carbouy.  Add yeast the next
morning with any spices you wish.  Let it ferment for a month.  Then rack
it into another carbouy.  Wait two months and then bottle it.  This works
with both wine yeasts and champaign yeasts.  Everything is sterilized with
an edible iodine solution  (ID-40) and then triple rinsed, prior to use.
That's really all that's to it, and it's AMAZING stuff!!!

Hope this helps.
In Service.

cu drag,
Bogdan

Jeffrey Heilveil M.S.		      Ld. Bogdan de la Brasov, C.W.
Department of Entomology	A Bear's paw and base vert on field argent
University of Illinois
heilveil at uiuc.edu
office: (217) 244-5115
home: (217) 355-5702
ICQ: 34699710

Once one dismisses the rest of all possible worlds, one finds that this is
the best of all possible worlds.
				 -Voltaire, _Candide_