SC - za'atar

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Wed Apr 12 00:59:40 PDT 2000

My previous remarks were based on getting za'atar in a Lebanese shop
near me. In fact, because i recognized what it was, the owner *gave*
me a small bag of the stuff. He said it was a blend of za'atar (or
maybe zatar, i'm not yet sensitive enough to hear the difference),
sumac, salt, and sesame seeds. Sumac alone had a different name, not
like za'atar or zatar. I've gone back and bought more from him.

I also have a box a friend brought back from Israel that says in
Hebrew zain-ayin-tav-resh (z'atr). It contains only herb and sesame
seeds, no red sumac berries.

- -------

In "The Cooking of the Eastern Mediterranean" (1994), Paula Wolfert says:
p. 398
"ZA'ATAR AND ZA'ATAR BLEND
To clear up the confusion: Around the eastern Mediterranean, the word
za'atar is used two different way: to refer to a class of herbs and
to refer to a spice blend of za'atar and sumac.

Fist, the herbs. There are several varieties, bearing various names
in various eastern Mediterranean languages, and they are so  prized
for their fragrant savory-oregano-thyme aroma that they are often
called the "king of herbs." None of the recipes in this book call for
the rarely imported herb za'atar; substitutes are
p. 399
always given. If however, you travel to the eastern Mediterranean,
and visit some of its remarkable archeological sites, you may be
approached by children offering to sell you bouquets of za'atar
plants. There are so many different name and varieties, in so many
different languages, that I offer only a few, for the true fanatic:
kekik (Turkey); throumbi (Greece); za'atar rumi (Syria); nadge
(Israel). If you purchase bouquets, dry them in your hotel room, then
use after your return on meat and fish both before and after
grilling. You will not be disappointed.,

As for the spice blend za'atar, it is a mixture of sumac, sesame
seeds, and one or more of the various za'atar herbs described above.
It is part of a Middle Eastern breakfast dish of hot flat bread
dipped in olive oil, then sprinkled with the mixture..."

" Mail Order for Live Plants: za'atar (Thymbre spicata); its
substitutes "barrel sweetener" or thyba savory (Saturjea thymbra);
oregano/hyssop (Origanum syriacum; and summer savory; Well-Sweep Herb
Farm..."

p. 407: Well-Sweep Herb Farm, 317 Mount Bethel Road, Port Murray, NJ
o7865. (908) 852-5390

- -------

In her earlier book, "Couscous and other good food from Morocco"