SC - Chopping onions

Susan Laing gleep001 at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 12 18:17:31 PDT 2000

Jasmine mentioned -

>...we have a lot of onions to chop for the feast. A very
>nice lady who I won't out publicly on the list, privately
>suggested that swimming goggles, known for their tight
>seal around the eye, are the perfect way to combat the
>typical tears from cutting too many onions.

My grandmother used to place onions in the fridge (sealed in bag to avoid
losing any moisture) the night before using.  She said this causes the juice
to be thicker and not spray when cutting

I use this method and find that my tears are significantly reduced.

Does anyone else use / know of this method (and was she right about the
"cold thickens juice" or is due to some other reaction??)

Just curious!

Mari