SC - Question on kosher

Morgan Cain morgancain at earthlink.net
Fri Apr 14 09:46:08 PDT 2000

>>> I was wondering a couple of things-
>>> is agar [seaweed gelatin] kosher
>>> is textured vegetable protein kosher

Probably.  You should see little marks on the package that signal "kosher."  I know that in the Great Argument About Gelatin, many Jews and Moslems feel that agar is the ONLY one to be used, as it is the only form that can be guaranteed kosher.  Do note that it is softer than animal gelatin, so you may need to add more or accept a non-solid set.

One answer to the gelatin question is at http://www.ohr.org.il/ask/ask127.htm#Q1

For alcoholic beverages, including wine, beer, tequila, and sake, go to http://www.ohr.org.il/ask/ask184.htm#Q4

I didn't find anything specifically about TVP; you can check the box, or send a message and see if it is answered (after Pesach).

As for the almond milk question, since all the ingredients would be (if you use kosher wine -- ignore Mogen David and Maniscewitz for Kedem or something else more drinkable) then the end result should be kosher.

                   ---= Morgan's Jewish persona