Re SC - onion breath/body

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Sat Apr 15 05:13:43 PDT 2000

> Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2000 23:29:35 EDT
> From: Devra at aol.com
> Subject: SC - Re: sca-cooks V1 #2136 - onion body
>
> In a message dated 4/13/00 5:39:22 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
> owner-sca-cooks at ansteorra.org writes:
>

> >  Rinse your mouth with equal parts of lemon juice and water.
> >  Chew a citrus peel after eating onions.
> >  Chew on aniseed or dill seed.
> >  Eat a freshly washed unpeeled apple.
> >  Eat a spring or two of parsley (this is one of the best solutions)
> >  Munch on roasted cofee beans
> >
> Has anyone besides me noticed how many of these remedies are period
> digestives recommended for the closing of the stomach and meal? *grin*
> Devra the baker

I noticed it too. The only thing is, the spices would, I think, be to
provide heat for digestion. Dairy products, such as a custard tart in
the last course, or cheese wafers at the end of the meal, would close
the stomach. I seem to recall Chiquart recommending sugared spices (and
nuts) at the beginning of the meal, but this seems to have been mostly
about the sugar, which was said to _open_ the chest and stomach.

I can't help viewing some of the medieval theories on digestion and
nutrition as akin to putting some baking soda into a bottle of vinegar
solution, clapping on the top, shaking it, and running ;  ).

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com