SC - Peeling garlic and chopping onions

DianaFiona at aol.com DianaFiona at aol.com
Sat Apr 15 09:04:58 PDT 2000

In a message dated 4/15/00 2:19:56 AM Eastern Daylight Time, stefan at texas.net
writes:

<<
 Along that line of garlic, since there have been some recent recipes
 here that required a lot of peeled garlic (1 1/2 cups?), do you all
 have any recommendations on peeling garlic? I got better as I got
 along, but it still took a while to peel that many garlic cloves.
 I remember seeing some plastic? sheets that you wrapped around the
 clove and then rolled between your fingers. I was rolling the each
 clove between my hands this last time, but sometimes it worked better
 on some cloves than others. And my hands did smell like garlic for
 quite a while.

    Stainless steel seems to be the best thing I've found, and my skin
*really* picks up garlic odors! And holds them for *days* to boot........ :-(
    And yes, there are rubber sheets and tubes sold to help peel garlic. I
have one of the tubes, and it is indeed useful for large quantities. I don't
bother with it for just a few, but if you have to skin a whole head or two
it's a lifesaver! I don't find that it will remove every bit of skin, so you
have to check them over, but it definitely saves time overall,
    That said, and easy and cheap substitute is one of the rubber circles
sold/given away to loosen jar lids............ Not quite as big in many
cases, but they'll do the trick in a pinch.

            Ldy Diana