SC - poached figs in spiced honey syrup

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Sun Apr 16 04:53:34 PDT 2000

> Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2000 02:19:37 -0500
> From: Stefan li Rous <stefan at texas.net>
> Subject: SC - poached figs in spiced honey syrup
>
> > This sure looks medieval to me so I am passing it along.
> > Phillipa
>
> It's not entirely medieval with those allspice berries,
> since they are a New World item. Is it without them? I have
> no idea.

Um, not to make a big thing out of this, but the above (see the last two
sentences) illustrates _exactly_ the point of the people who have said
that while following a recipe as closely as possible gives us a fighting
chance of having accurately "period" food, changing a modern recipe to
make it seem more "period" introduces variables whose propriety/accuracy
within the confines of the dish we can't know.

Not intended as a criticism of the gentles referenced above, or of their
views; it just made for a convenient illustration. The fig recipe looks
lovely, and it seems to have something in common with medieval recipes.
But that could, of course, be purely coincidental: so does a cheeseburger.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com