SC - poached figs in spiced honey syrup

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sun Apr 16 18:59:33 PDT 2000

Lady Brighid said:
> Fruits preserved in syrup with sweet spices are period.  For example,
> the _Libre de Totes Maneres de Confits_ says to preserve dates in
> honey with ginger and cloves.  I haven't come across a recipe for dates
> in spiced syrup, though Apicius and Platina say that one can preserve
> fresh figs by placing them in honey, not touching each other.

How would you be able to pack even a moderate amount of dates this way?
I can see  doing it on a single layer, although it would seem to take
a lot of (expenisve) honey. But for multiple layers? Would some kind
of spacer work? and of what? Clay? Wood? You don't want it to float
or crush the dates under it.
- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net