SC - Lighting for cooking and camp

WyteRayven at aol.com WyteRayven at aol.com
Mon Apr 17 07:25:43 PDT 2000

Hi All,

I have started putting together some things for my camp. I don't have much yet, I just bought a stove, and a table to put it on. (Yes, I know that these things are not period, but I am not camping on the Eric, and I don't have the resources yet for a completely period camp).

I have been looking around at various ways to do lighting. Particularly, lighting for cooking. I could bring lots of candles, but I would prefer to get something that puts out a bit more light. One of the places that I have been looking at is Lehmans (http://www.lehmans.com/). They have some olive oil lamps that, while not period, look like they would provide fairly good light.

Has anyone had experience with these? Do the indeed put out a good amount of light? Is there a better inexpensive source of lighting?

I am interested in these mostly because the price is roughly $12.00 per lamp, and because they strike me as appearing more period than the other oil lamps that I have seen (I know that they are not, but the just feel better to me.)

Thanks,

Ilia