SC - Trimarian Haggis

Elaine Koogler ekoogler at chesapeake.net
Mon Apr 17 12:04:33 PDT 2000

- --------------78A3F818265F6A366D21FB64

Some years ago, I picked up a Scottish "Cookery Book" put out by The Scottish
Women's Rural Institutes, which has several recipes for haggis, including the
following Sweet Haggis (it still uses a sheep's stomach, but you could still use
a "bag"):

3 1/2 lbs. oatmeal, 2 lbs. suet,  2 lbs. raisins or sultannas, 1 tablespoon
salt, l level dessertspoon black pepper, 3 dessertspoons sugar, 1 breakfastcup
cold water.

Method:  Mix all together and put into haggis bag (sheep's or pig's stomach),
sew up.  Prick with a fork, tie in cloth, put into boiling water and boil for 3
hours.

What you describe also could pass for a Clootie Dumpling:

3 oz. flour, 3  ozs. breadcrumbs, 3 ozs. chopped suet, 1 teaspoon ground
cinnamon, 2 ozs. sultannas, 1 teaspoon ground ginger or a grate of nutmeg, 2
ozs. currants, 1/2 tsp. bicarbonate of soda, 2 ozs. brown sugar,  1
tablespoonful syrup, about 3/4 cup sour milk or buttermilk.

Mix all together with enough milk to make a fairly soft consistency. Dip a
pudding cloth into boiling water and wring it.  Dredge it well with flour, set
it in a basin and spoon in the mixture.  Draw together evenly; leave enough room
for the pudding to swell and tie tightly with string.  Place a plate in the
bottom of the steaming pan.  Have enough boiling water to well-cover the
dumpling.  Simmer for fully 2 hours, adding more boiling water at intervals.
Turn out on to hot ashet (sic)   Dredge with caster sugar and serve with hot
sauce.

Both of these sound great, though I've tried neither...and am not sure what
"syrup" is, though it could be the "golden syrup" we discussed on another
thread.  As to what a hot "ashet" is, I haven't a clue.  Nor do I know what the
"hot sauce" is...there was no recipe for it!

Kiri

Siegfried Heydrich wrote:

>     Since most people react very negatively (screaming in horror, fleeing
> the room, throwing things at me) upon learning the ingredients of haggis,
> especially after taking a bite, I came up with a local variant.
>     Instead of using the liver & lights of a sheep, I used citrus fruits
> chopped together (oranges, tangerines, grapefruit, etc). Instead of using
> oatmeal, I used shredded coconut, and spiced it with a bit of rum. Instead
> of serving it in a sheep's stomach, I stuff it into a condom with a
> chocolate gerbil on top, and serve it forth as 'Faggis'.
>
>     Sieggy

- --------------78A3F818265F6A366D21FB64

Some years ago, I picked up a Scottish "Cookery Book" put out by The Scottish
Women's Rural Institutes, which has several recipes for haggis, including
the following Sweet Haggis (it still uses a sheep's stomach, but you could
still use a "bag"):
1 tablespoon salt, l level dessertspoon black pepper, 3 dessertspoons sugar,
1 breakfastcup cold water.
stomach), sew up.  Prick with a fork, tie in cloth, put into boiling
water and boil for 3 hours.
ground cinnamon, 2 ozs. sultannas, 1 teaspoon ground ginger or a grate
of nutmeg, 2 ozs. currants, 1/2 tsp. bicarbonate of soda, 2 ozs. brown
sugar,  1 tablespoonful syrup, about 3/4 cup sour milk or buttermilk.
Dip a pudding cloth into boiling water and wring it.  Dredge it well
with flour, set it in a basin and spoon in the mixture.  Draw together
evenly; leave enough room for the pudding to swell and tie tightly with
string.  Place a plate in the bottom of the steaming pan.  Have
enough boiling water to well-cover the dumpling.  Simmer for fully
2 hours, adding more boiling water at intervals.  Turn out on to hot
ashet (<i>sic)</i>   Dredge with caster sugar and serve with
hot sauce.
what "syrup" is, though it could be the "golden syrup" we discussed on
another thread.  As to what a hot "ashet" is, I haven't a clue.
Nor do I know what the "hot sauce" is...there was no recipe for it!
(screaming in horror, fleeing
I used citrus fruits
using
Instead