SC - Lighting for cooking and camp

Jennifer Rushman rushmaj at basf-corp.com
Mon Apr 17 13:32:48 PDT 2000

Ilia wrote:
     I have been looking around at various ways to do lighting. Particularly,
lighting for cooking. I could bring lots of candles, but I would prefer to get
something that puts out a bit more light. One of the places that I have been
looking at is Lehmans (http://www.lehmans.com/). They have some olive oil lamps
that, while not period, look like they would provide fairly good light.
     Has anyone had experience with these? Do the indeed put out a good amount
of light? Is there a better inexpensive source of lighting?

Clare writes:
     While I have not used Lehamn's lamps, although I did look at their website
to see what they were. I've have done some experimenting with 'lamps.'  My lord
and I have been experimenting with some different period types of lamps, namely,
Viking stone lamps, Roman Cone/Funnel Beaker Lamps, Roman saucer-shaped lamps
and Medieval English Lamps.  We have also experimented with different kinds of
fat: pork fat (from the Christmas ham), olive oil, liquid vegetable oil and
solid vegetable oil (shortening). Different fats seem to burn slightly
differently: rate, light emittened, and scent. For wicking material we have just
been using cotton string or thin fabric strips which have been twisted.
     All of these different types of lamps, fats and wicks worked, the best
choice probally would be the Roman Cone/Funnel Beakers with floating wicks.
Since they are made out of glass they allow light to be emitted up, sideways and
down (which not all of the lamps allow).  These could also be suspended above
the 'work' area just like the Romans and others did!
     A recent camping event really showed the importance of downward lighting
since we couldn't see how dinner was doing on the grill.  All of these types did
work well on the feast table though.  Another important point is that none of
these are considered 'closed flames' and thus you should excercise caution as
with any flame source.

     I came up with an easy and inexpensive way to make oil lamps with floating
wicks.  All you need is a glass vessel (or glass cone beaker, funnel beaker or
palm cup), water, liquid vegetable oil, cork, aluminum foil, cotton string and
matches.

1.  Fill the glass vessel 2/3 full with water.  Then carefully pour in oil,
about an inch or so (remember it floats on top of the water).

2.  Then twist a wick out of your cotton string.  I use crochet cotton string
with aprox 8 individual lengths twisted together.
3.  Then slice off a piece of cork, approx 1/4 inch thick and punch a hole in it
(mine already had one from the corkscrew).

4.  Cut a circle of aluminum foil that is the same size as the cork.  Punch a
hole in it too.  This helps keep the cork 'float' from burning.

5.  Now thread the wick through the cork and Al foil circles.  There should be a
small amount of wick on top (1/4-1/2 inch) and some hanging below (approx 1
inch).  Make sure that the wick 'tail' isn't so long below that it hangs in the
water.

6.  Carefully dip the wick on the top of the float in the oil and then place the
wick and float (with the tail downwards in the center of the lamp.)  This
dipping put a little fuel on the wick and helps it get started.

7.  Now light your lamp, matches seem easiest for me.  The wick should burn down
to a certain level and then just burn the fuel.
   Notes: You can use a non-transluscent vessel but not as much light will be
let out.
     If you don't have Al foil it still works but your cork may burn too. (This
is how I did it the first time.)
     You can refill while the lamp is lit if your carefully pour in a little
more oil.
     The next time you need your lamp, just pull up a little fresh wick and
light again.

Hmm maybe I should write an article about these lamps.  Oh there is also a
Complete Anachronist on Period Lighting but I don't remember that it had much
about oil lamps.

Hope this helps now back to your regular SCA-Cooking banter :)
CH
p.s.- If you repost or print these directions please credit me. Thanks much.
- ---
Lady Clare Hele, Barony of Windmasters' Hill, Atlantia
Omnia Probate!
mka-Jennifer Rushman