SC - Lighting for cooking and camp

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Mon Apr 17 23:20:45 PDT 2000

Ilia said:
> I have started putting together some things for my camp. I don't have much yet, I just bought a stove, and a table to put it on. (Yes, I know that these things are not period, but I am not camping on the Eric, and I don't have the resources yet for a completely period camp).

Perhaps these files in the HOME, SWEET HOME section of my Florilegium might
be of interest:
candles-msg       (79K)  4/12/00    Candle snuffers, making candles,
wax, tallow
candlesticks-msg  (22K)  4/21/99    Medieval candlesticks.
flt-wick-lmps-art (14K)  2/24/97    "Experiments with domestic lighting"
by
                                       Gordon Reeder. (float-wick lamps)
lamps-msg         (64K)  4/15/99    Medieval lamps and lamps for SCA use.
lighting-msg      (18K)  9/16/99    Period lighting. Candles, lamps, torches.

Earlier there was a discussion on whether sesame oil was period for Europe.
My reply was that I didn't think so because I remember the oils available
being very limited. But on further thinking, I realize I really don't know
what oil was used in such lamps although for olive oil I think we do have
evidence for its being used. It would seem that there really wasn't that
much cooking in oil in period, at least not deep frying. In some of my
reading on the codfish, it appears that deep frying really began to
appear in the 19th century when cheaper, industrially produced vegetable
oils became available.
- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net