SC - Fire pit cooking

Anne-Marie Rousseau acrouss at gte.net
Mon Apr 17 23:42:20 PDT 2000

hey all from Anne-Marie

my household cooks exclusively on an open fire.

We dont allow anything modern like a meat thermometer in camp, so I cook
larger pieces of meat at home, where I can be sure they're done all the way
through, then skewer them on the spit on site and warm them up over the
fire, or rest them on the grill to warm them.

This way, worst case scenario is the meat is totally cooked, but a bit
chilled in the middle. Much better than undercooked chicken! (ugh)

I am hopign someday to get confident enough to be able to judge the coal
bed, etc, but for now my food safety paranoia has me cooking large bits
either at home and warming them over the fire, or cooking them as a pot
roast type object over the fire.

hope this little "cheat" helps!

- --AM