SC - reasonably safe water at Pennsic

Jeff Gedney JGedney at dictaphone.com
Wed Apr 19 07:13:12 PDT 2000

>     A cellular critter is a few orders of magnitude larger than a virus. I'd
> trust a filter to take out protozoa, but a virus . . .? Your call, your
> intestinal tract . . .

True, the Norwalk type Viruses are classified as "17 nm" (17 nanometers)
viruses, which mean they pass filters with openings that size and larger.
They are also very resistant to chlorine, withstanding common pool
concentrations.
( one of the vectors for this bug, apparently, is the accidental ingestion of
contaminated pool water. )
Boiling is a good way, chlorine is next best.
combining the two, is most sure.
We have industrial sized bottles of Purel hand sanitizer, Paper plates as
plate liners, a washup sink wit running filtered water and a drain rinning to
a sump away from the camp for cooks hands, and boiling pots of wash
and rinse water at every meal at pennsic, and we strongly encourage their
use and we have not had a bonified case of the Pennsic trots in five years.
Plenty of the other maladies, dehydration, mild alcohol toxicosis, sleep
deprivation ( "the Drums! the Drums!!" ) etc.
But we seem to have this one dealt with. The fact that 40% of our campers
happen to be chirurgeons, may help here...

Brandu