SC - Prince Albert in a Can

Siegfried Heydrich baronsig at peganet.com
Wed Apr 19 09:11:21 PDT 2000

    I've gotten several inquiries off-list about just WHAT the hell a Prince
Albert in a Can was, and I've sent it out to them, but I thought y'all might
enjoy it, too. I fixed this at a GALA fundraiser for about 50 maybe 10 years
ago.
    One of the member artists drew up a wrapper that was sized for a large
(not #10) veggie type can that was your basic Prince Albert tobacco can
label (we couldn't get enough real Prince Albert cans). We scanned and
printed them off on a color printer (dot matrix, back then!), cut 'em out,
and pasted them on the empty cans that were cleaned and had both ends
removed.
    For the Prince Albert (heh, heh) we served grilled Brats on sub rolls
with my homemade red cabbage sweet & sour kraut and white wine Dijon
mustard. We put the wurst in the roll, and ran one of the hinged metal rings
(got 'em from an office supply store) through one end of the sausage and one
side the bun, slipped it into the can, then put a bit of the kraut on the
other end and a dollop of the white mustard on the ringed end.
    When they were served, several people laughed so hard they simply
couldn't eat at all. It was a huge hit, they were talking about it for
months afterwards. The cans are still sort of a local collectors item, and
people who were there still smile whenever they see 'em. And the 'Do you
have Prince Albert in a can?' jokes ran rampant . . .
    BTW, they raised a record amount from that event!

    Sieggy