SC - reasonably safe water at Pennsic

Alderton, Philippa phlip at morganco.net
Wed Apr 19 11:29:02 PDT 2000

Kiri skrev:

>I really think that the whole water thing has to do with one's own
>constitution...some folks are really sensitive to such things and others
are
>not.  I normally drink well water here at home, and therefore am not used
to all
>of the chemicals I encounter in city water when I travel for business or
>pleasure.  I have a natural propensity toward "Pennsic Revenge" or whatever
you
>want to call it,having lost most of my "processing equipment" in two bouts
of
>colon cancer.

(major snip)

>I think we all need to be as careful as possible about water at Pennsic,
but the
>level of care (bottled vs filtered vs straight water) will depend on our
own
>resistance to this type of illness.

There you go. As I've been saying all along, exercise due caution, relating
to your specific needs, and relax.

A member of our camp is a serious diabetic- injects insulin twice a day, the
whole shot. Before he joined us, he had come down to visit and meet us
(we're on Cooper's Lake) and had mentioned that he likely wouldn't see much
of us because he needed to stay up top, close to his camp. I asked him why,
and I discovered his diabetes, and simply told him that if he needed food
while he was down here, to come to our camp immediately and get whatever he
needed, then I explained to the other camp members what the situation was so
they knew what was going on- problem solved ;-) He's now camping with us, so
he can grab what he needs when he's nearby, or go to Food Court or
Chirurgeon's Point and get some food in his system, if he's up top when it
happens.

By the same token, we went to a party together last year, and he tried and
liked a particular mixed drink- I was aware enough to warn him off of its
tremendous refined sugar content- it just doesn't taste as sweet as it is.
This is sensible - deal with your difficulties, and let your friends and
camp mates know what's going on so they can help you if necessary.

I also, as Chirurgeon,  have had people's camp mates drag them in when they
were in more severe difficulties than they thought they were, and I've done
it myself to other friends.

Water problems at Pennsic are no different than any other problem we face
day-to-day. Just use good sense and face the real situation- don't panic
over every little thing which may have caused your Aunt Matilda's next door
neighbor's cousin's aunt's sister a problem. For one thing, at that remove,
the perceived problem may actually have nothing to do with the real problem
;-)

Phlip

Nolo disputare, volo somniare et contendere, et iterum somniare.

phlip at morganco.net

Philippa Farrour
Caer Frig
Southeastern Ohio

"All things are poisons.  It is simply the dose that distinguishes between a
poison and a remedy." -Paracelsus

"Oats -- a grain which in England sustains the horses, and in
Scotland, the men." -- Johnson

"It was pleasant to me to find that 'oats,' the 'food of horses,' were
so much used as the food of the people in Johnson's own town." --
Boswell

"And where will you find such horses, and such men?" -- Anonymous