SC - Seeking quail recipes

Kerri Canepa kerric at pobox.alaska.net
Thu Apr 20 12:26:53 PDT 2000

>Hi everyone,
>I have a source for quail (both birds and eggs).We would like to have quail
>at camping events this summer.  So, we are seeking recipes for the birds.

Hey ma'am,

Can't help you with the quail recipes that are period but I ran across a
Moroccan Cornish Game Hen recipe that might work for you. Mind you, I haven't
tried it but it looks darned nummy.

Enjoy!

Cedrin
Princess Oertha

CORNISH GAME HENS STUFFED WITH COUSCOUS

4 cornish game hens
1 lb couscous
2 tbs vegetable oil (for the almonds)
1/2 lb blanched almonds
1/2 lb seedless raisins
2 tbs confectioners sugar
1 tbs ground cinnamon
1 tbs gournd ginger
1 generous pinch powdered saffron or 2 tbs saffron liquid
4 tbs butter, softened
4 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
1/2 tsp salt
freshly ground black pepper
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp paprika

Steam the couscous once and transfer it to a large mixing bowl (NOTE: the
authors are assuming you are preparing couscous using a couscoussier. I believe
that if you are using the quick couscous, you cook it until it is just done).

Meanwhile, gently fry the almonds in a little oil until they are golden, then
crush or chop them coarsely. Place the raisins in a small bowl and cover with
boiling water. Leave them to soak for 10 minutes. The drain.

Add the almonds, raisins, confectioners sugar, cinnamon, ginger, and saffron to
the couscous and mix well. Stuff the game hens with the couscous and sew them up
(or cover the opening with a piece of foil).

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.

In a separate bowl, mix together the softened butter, crushed garlic, salt and
pepper, cumin and paparika to make a paste. Rub the paste all aover the game
hens. Place them in an ovenproof dish, adding a little water at the bottom of
the dish so the butter does not burn. Roast the game hens for about 45 minutes,
basting occasionally with the cooking juices.

If you have too much stuffing, heat it separately in the oven, in a dish covered
with foil.

Place the game hens on a large platter and serve the extra stuffing in a
separate bowl.