SC - Re: Bread

Elysant at aol.com Elysant at aol.com
Thu Apr 20 21:38:49 PDT 2000

- -Poster: <Elysant at aol.com>

My uncle, who was a bread baker, owned the stone bakehouse around the corner
from our street when I grew up in Wales.  It was he who supplied most of the
village with bread - sold from his "bread van" which toured the streets of
the village tooting it's horn, selling his wares - for all the years I lived
there.

He always wrapped the his bread in greased paper wrappers, or "packets" and
it kept just fine in a bread bin for a few days.  I dried out a little,  but
was not mouldy or anything... could wrapped in greased paper be a good
alternative to wrapping it in cloth to keep it mould free at Pennsic?

Another factor that is different about my uncle's bread was that it wasn't
made from a paste like the loaves you see on supermarket shelves are today,
but from the real old fashioned dough.  The bread consistency overall was
more chewy and a little drier...

I certainly can imagine a thick slice of his loaf bread a few days old would
make a good trencher....

Elysant