SC - reasonably safe water at Pennsic

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Thu Apr 20 23:07:05 PDT 2000

Beatrix asked:
> > I'm also a Chirurgeon, since Pennsic XXV, and I can tell you right now I'd
> > know if there had been any epidemics of diarhea- it's one of those things,
> <snip>
> > Now, granted I'm known to drink a lot of beer, but I drink water, Pennsic
> > water, all through my daily shifts at Pennsic. If the water was bad, it
> > would hit me, trust me.
> >
> > Philippa Farrour
> > Caer Frig
> > Southeastern Ohio
> Perhaps this is the answer - Philippa, you're from Ohio, which is not to far
> from where pennsic is held, therefore your body is used to the local bugs in
> the water system. However, if someone from a farther area, say the Outlands
> or Caid, come to Pennsic, their body is used to compleatly different flora
> and fauna in the water and their intestines get the shock of their life at
> the first swallow.

Except I'm from central Texas, not as far as the Outlands or Caid, but far
enough to not have built up any immunity to any Pennsic "bugs". And I drank
my water straight from the tap for Pennsic 21, 23, 25 and 27 since I was
camping with Ansteorra on the Serrengetti plain. It wasn't until this last
Pennsic that I drank bottled water at Pennsic and I did that because that
was what was available in camp. I have not gotten sick at Pennsic due to
the water.

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net