SC - A new project....

Christine A Seelye-King mermayde at juno.com
Sat Apr 22 08:11:14 PDT 2000

Hummus is not precisely Icelandic but since peas and beans were being
grown in the 12th century, maybe some kind of dip made with legumes is
not too far-fetched.

	A friend of mine made a macrobiotic recipe once that was a legume
'loaf', kind of a firm pea/bean spread.  You might try some macro
cookbooks for ideas there.

> Maybe some small tartlets filled with blueberries? Anything made
> with honey and nuts (imported but certainly available), probably some
dried
> fruit ... I´ll think about this some more and try to come up with some
ideas.

	Would lingonberry tarts be closer?   You can buy lingonberries here
preserved in jars, I would think they would make good tart stuffings.

> Now, if you could get hold of some dulse strips, that´s your ideal
> finger food. Definitely vegan, eminently documentable as a snack (Egill
> Skallagrímsson was nibbling on them in the 10th century, or so the
> sagas say) and quite tasty (at least if you are an Icelander and have
been
> chewing them since childhood).

	We sell them at the health food store I work in, try one near you,
preferably a large one.

> Nanna
Thanks, Nanna, that's a great list of ideas.  Would Icelanders have
observed Lenten restrictions, having such a meat-based diet?
	Christianna