SC - Easter Dinner

Ron and Laurene Wells tinyzoo at aracnet.com
Sun Apr 23 13:34:21 PDT 2000

Hello.  What are you having for Easter Dinner today?  I started to buy a
ham, but kept thinking that they wouldn't have eaten Ham on the first
Easter, and I didn't think they had Turkey's in Israel at the time either
(I believe Turkey's are New World birds, and wouldn't have been introduced
to the middle east until the 1600's at earliest?).  They don't sell goat in
our Fred Meyer, but Lamb was on sale (probably for that very reason?) so I
bought the first "Leg of Lamb" that I have ever bought, and we are having
this for Easter dinner tonight.  I just put it on the stove in my deep Cast
Iron pot (like a Dutch Oven only with a handle, I don't know what it is
really called) and put a skillet over the top for a lid because the roast
stuck up too high for the regular lid.
    I looked in all the recipe books for Leg Of Lamb recipes and all of
them called for wine.  I don't have any wine, and the stores are all closed
today.  I didn't have any grape juice either.  Or apple juice.  And I
thought that much Huckleberry Vinegar would be WAY too strong, not to
mention expensive.  So... I used Orange Juice (thinking the flavor of lamb
is kinda strong like duck, so maybe the orange would work with mutton just
as well).  I don't kow if they had oranges at the time of Christ in Israel,
but ... well, I wasn't real confident in using plain water so I used the
juice.  The spices I added were Fennel, Mint, Fenugreek, and little White
Pepper.  And salt.  Hope I didn't ruin the lamb!!!  Now I will let it cook
a few hours and see how it turns out.  Probably have dinner about 5 or 6
tonight.

Well, hope you all had a really nice Easter!  Ron stayed home with us after
all (He normally works on Sundays) and we are really enjoying having him
home!  We got to go to the service and everything.

Take care.  May the Peace Jesus won for us on the cross and the
unconditional love of God bless you this Easter Sunday!
- -Laurene