SC - RE: A&S Documentation

Jennifer Rushman rushmaj at basf-corp.com
Mon Apr 24 07:50:39 PDT 2000

Bonne (oftraquair at hotmail.com) writes:
< For many of us, for most competitions, the judges aren't going to be  anything
like the experts on this list. There's a good chance that if you include all the
explanations and documentation expected by those on this list, you'll soon be
considered SUCH an expert that you'll find yourself judging more competitions
than you enter.>

     In some ways I see entering A&S as an exercise in research/documentation
and writing.  I have recently come to realize that often (at least at local
competitions) the judge(s) does not know or possibly even practice what you have
entered.  I see 'writing the documentation' as a learning opportunity for the
entrant (me) and to the persons who will be judging.  To me it's like my thesis,
I most likely know more than my committee does, so I know have to convey that
knowledge I have in an effective manner.  Yes they  ( the committee) know more
than me, but particular aspects of the item are central and core to me and may
not be known to the committee,  and these 'new ideas' should fit into the
knowledge that the committee already has.
     IMHO I think A&S entries are striving for the Platonic ideal of a medieval
'widget.'  They _should_ made in a period manner, with tools and wares, using
creative embellishments as a medieval person would, based on examples,
descriptions and finds.  It is a very tall order and very difficult to do well.
I find it very frustrating as well because each judge also comes with their own
expectations about what is 'good'.  Entries are also being judged against one
another not this idealistic medieval 'widget'.
      A&S is something that I, Jennifer Rushman, do in the modern world, it is
not a persona thing, and there is no good way that I have found in persona to
do.  It is academic, planned, researched, written, proofread, and re-written.  A
judge needs to be familiar with being able to recognize good research and
craftsmanship.  The written documentation which comes with the entry help lead
the judge through the process, what is it?  how was it and is it used? how it
was made? with what tools? how was it made and with what tools way back when?
and where you made substitutions and why (cost, availability, etc.)?  It is
something I do occasionally, to familiarize myself with something and know a
number of the intricacies of the craft and the research does not stop at A&S
level but continues as my skill improves and I can bring more elements into a
piece...
Just my $0.02
Jennifer Rushman, know often as Lady Clare Hele...