SC - Cooking Laurels

Mike Young uther at lcc.net
Mon Apr 24 08:29:28 PDT 2000

At 01:10 PM 4/24/00 +0200, you wrote:
>Greetings!
>
>I've had several converations with members in my area along the subject of
>cooking and its association with the Arts/Sciences.  One particular area of
>interest is the making of a Laurel in Cooking.  What I'd like know is what
>were Laurels recognized for to receive their Peerage?  I've seen the
>discussion about a "Laurel's kitchen" versus a "Pelican's kitchen".  I
>assume the Laurel built their status through continued participation in A&S
>compititions.  What kind of projects eventually led to being elevated to
>Laurel?  Is there particular documentation that should be used (i.e.
>original manuscripts, interpretations by researchers, "approved" list of
>sources, etc.)?
>
>Robeard

Hello...Although I'm not a Laurel, I do cook and I am an apprentice.  I
enter competion because I like to play with redaction and it's a good forum
for me to share what I've learned.  I also beleive it helps me be a better
judge if I have entered into competion myself.  I do workshops and classes
but mainly, I love to be able to start a conversation around a camp fire
that promotes the atmosphere we are trying to achieve at an event.  I find
everyone has an opinion on food and the right statements can get people to
thinking about our period of history in a personal manner.
I also enjoy doing feasts but it is a VERY different activity.  I find it
in general much more challenging and satisfying, perhaps because it effects
so many more people.
My interests in cooking have led to other activities also such as pottery
and herb gardening.  I beleive we have discussed in length on this list the
fact that cooking is not always seen as an art or science but as a service
and on the Ansteorran list we discussed what it takes to become a peer in
general.  You might try the floriguim for more information.
Good luck.
gwyneth
apprentice to Mistress Charla Noel du Lac