Association Benefits(Re: SC - Cooking Laurels)

grizly at mindspring.com grizly at mindspring.com
Mon Apr 24 13:13:34 PDT 2000

I am apprenticed to a wonderful lady here in GA.  While it is common for Laurels here in Meridies to have been apprenticed, it is not a requirement.  I point out that it may not be a cause/effect relationship.

I entered into association with Maestra Irina for the benefit of the relationship we would grow to enjoy.  I had no idea what exactly that relationship would be, but it has grown and given me much (I only hope she has gotten as much from me).  I suspect it is not so much in the being an apprentice as much as it is the interpersonal skills and growth one attains in being in relationship with someone.  Irina is not a historical cook, per se, nor a brewer (my to foci).  She is a wonderful motivator and idea generator, she knows what research is about, is scholarly, enthusiastically supports my questions and efforts, doesn't accept cheesy excuses, recognizes me and my habits, and appreciates efforts.  The one, albeit very limited, benefit I have over non-associated artisans is the advocay in my absece.  Whenever anything is brought up that I need to be aware of is brought to me.  She does that for others as well, but this way I know there is at least one person looking out for me.!
!
  She challenges my shortcomings and applauds my successes.

I can get all that without a belt, and the belt adds a level of committment to each other that I do not share with other Laurels/people in general.  I would not have entered this sort of relationship woth just anyone sporting a green belt; it was very much for me about engaging in a mutually challenging and enriching relationship with the expressed intent of improving the presentation of the SCA as we see it.  I most often take the role of student, while she is the mentor (though she admits to learning from me every now and then).  I counsel anyone who asks me that if it is only about getting that associate belt and climbing the ladder to peerage, one will be saldy disappointed and miss the true fruit of the association.

Just some offerings from my little piece of the world.  (can you tell I think I got the best Peer out there? <g>)

niccolo difrancesco

sca-cooks at ansteorra.org wrote:
> >I am an apprentice.

I've wondered about this for a long time.  Is apprentiship a requirement for
eventually getting a laurel?  Or just a tradition that you can get around by
doing everything that much more loudly, obviuosly and longer in order to get
the laurels who are busy singing and lace-making and etc. to notice? What if
you don't know a cooking laurel you feel close enough, as in location as
well as in compatability, to make such a commitment to?

The reason I joined to this list was because I didn't find anyone at the
local level that thought the research and testing of old recipes was a fun
way to play with food. I've met some since then but they are at the same
level I am.  I've since learned there is a cooking laurel in this kingdom,
but I've never met her face to face and wouldn't be able to work with her in
person even if we weren't moving away.  Then again, if I were apprenticed,
perhaps that would change the events I would choose to attend, because of
having a laurel to need to see.

Bonne